You know that feeling when you step into a sumptuous space. Everything seems to coordinate perfectly, and all the furnishings and decor items seem high-end. These aspects combine to make a person feel uniquely pampered. As a homeowner, you want to experience this every time you walk into your home, and evoke these same emotions when guests visit, too. If you want to know how to make your home more luxurious, you can try several things, from major renovations to easy decor ideas. We’ve gathered our favorite elegant home design tips for every room of the house. Read on to find out more and make your home as lavish and indulgent as possible.
Lavish Living Rooms
When you’re redecorating your living room for an upscale look and feel, the living room may be the first area you choose to focus on. You spend much of your free time relaxing in this room, and it’s also where you entertain your guests. A beautiful, plush living room sets the tone for the rest of the house, and decorating here will significantly impact your home’s overall design and style.
Make your living room look and feel more elegant with these decorating tips.
- Add moldings: An easy way to enhance your living room is to add some moldings, including baseboards, crown molding and wainscoting. These can improve the room’s interior architecture, adding a classic look and lots of extra charm and character.
- Choose a large area rug: A larger rug, especially one with a gorgeous pattern, can make a room appear larger and more expensive. If you already have a generously sized living room, you may want to use several rugs to delineate different conversation areas, arranging your furnishings in various configurations.
- Layer textiles: Lush textiles can make a room feel cozier and more inviting. Choose soft throw blankets in luxurious fabrics and place them casually throughout the room. To further dress up the space, add several throw pillows in coordinating patterns and colors to sofas and chairs.
- Display large-scale artwork: Oversized art in the living room adds instant class and serves as an ideal conversation-starter. Avoid uninspiring prints and go with something completely one-of-a-kind that speaks to your style. This kind of artwork will have an interesting back story for you and your guests to enjoy.
- Use elegant window coverings: For all your window coverings, choose luxe fabrics that match your furnishings’ style. To ensure the most elegant, polished look, choose drapes that are long enough for your windows and reach the floor. Curtains that are too short can cheapen the room’s appearance.
- Layer your lighting: Enhance the mood and create options with a layered lighting approach. Strategically placed lamps provide options for lighting where you need it most. Consider adding dimmer switches to provide even more control over the lighting, and add some candles for an elegant glow.
Your bedroom is your private sanctuary — an oasis for sleep and relaxation — so why not make it feel more luxurious? Adding some elegant touches to your guest bedrooms will wow your friends and family, ensuring everyone has a beautiful place to rest at your home. To achieve luxury bedroom interior design, try some of these ideas.
- Display artwork: Sometimes, people overlook the bedroom as a place to display art on the walls, but decorating these spaces is crucial. Choose artwork that’s personal and meaningful to you, and provides a relaxing vibe for the bedroom.
- Add a rug: A large carpet under the bed adds warmth and comfort to the bedroom, ties the room together and adds a polished look. With a wide range of colors, patterns and materials to choose from, you’re sure to find a luxurious rug that matches your bedroom’s style.
- Choose luxurious pillows and bed linens: Up your beds’ comfort factor with high-quality pillows, high-thread-count sheets and plush bedding. Emulate the sumptuous beds of your favorite luxury hotels with posh bedding choices. Add some overstuffed throw pillows to complete the look and make the bed look irresistibly comfortable and inviting.
- Go big with statement furniture: Whether you go with a large, four-poster bed, an opulent dresser or vanity or a dramatic settee, let your statement pieces shine. Give each piece space without clutter to let it shine as a focal point.
- Reorganize the nightstands: Start with beautiful elements that match your bedroom’s style, and be mindful of the objects collected on the nightstand. Each nightstand should have a lamp for softer lighting and reading in bed. Or, go with wall sconces or hanging light fixtures above the nightstand to free up space on the tabletop. Reduce clutter and keep only a few beautiful or practical objects in sight. Don’t forget about guest bedrooms. Set out useful items such as an elegant water carafe and glass set, a clock or a few candles.
The bathrooms in the most luxurious homes are spa-like retreats with many modern amenities. For the main bath, and any other larger bathrooms, you’ll want to consider oversized bathtubs and showers with desirable features like steam rooms or water jets. But even powder rooms and guest bathrooms can have touches of luxury. Whether you opt for a full remodel for your bathrooms, or decide to only add a few simple touches, there are many ways to make your bathrooms look and feel more opulent.
- Upgrade the shower heads: The sky’s the limit on today’s options for showers and showerheads. Choose from features like dual showerheads, rainfall style, massaging showers and steam. These add to the relaxing, restorative qualities of a luxurious bathroom.
- Use quality textiles and linens: For a plush experience, get some soft, fluffy rugs, so your feet have a warm place to land in the bathroom. Add sheer drapery for window coverings that add privacy while softening the bathroom’s hard edges. And don’t forget about the towels. Choosing higher-quality, generously sized bath towels can enhance the experience.
- Add beautiful scents: While this tip works for anywhere in the home, it’s especially vital in bathrooms to impart that spa-like quality. Regularly use sumptuously scented candles, incense or essential oil diffusers, so your bathrooms always smell like a calming spa or your favorite vacation destination.
- Marble inlay showers: Perhaps nothing else in a bathroom radiates luxury like marble can. The classic, elegant look of a custom marble inlay in your shower will elevate your experience beyond the most opulent spa. You can also apply these inlays to bathroom floors, backsplashes and other surfaces in the bathroom where you’d like to add a touch of classic elegance.
- Use seating: You may not think the bathroom needs any seating. However, having a comfortable chair, ottoman or settee in a bathroom adds a unique touch of luxury to the room’s overall decor. You can have a place to relax while the bathtub fills or a spot to sit while you pamper yourself with an at-home foot spa treatment.
- Add a tub tray: A tray is a simple addition that provides plenty of convenience while you’re in the tub, with all the necessities right at your fingertips. But it also adds to the bathroom decor, making the bathtub look inviting and luxurious.
The kitchen is another ideal place for some upgrades and fancy touches. Many of these upgrades can enhance your cooking experience and boost your home’s resale value when the time comes to sell. If you want to know how to make your kitchen look expensive, these kitchen upgrade tips can help.
- Go for high-end appliances: You’ll notice a significant difference in quality and style when you opt for high-end or professional-grade kitchen appliances. These appliances can make food prep and storage a breeze for you, and also look more impressive. Alternatively, instead of turning them into a focal point, another way to make a kitchen look more luxurious is to hide appliances like fridges, microwaves and toasters in custom-built cabinets that give the whole kitchen a more seamless, streamlined appearance.
- Create a statement backsplash: Originally designed to make kitchens a bit easier to clean, backsplashes today have become a trendy design element that can add lots of class and personality to any space. With a wide range of colors and textures to choose from, you can create a customized look for your backsplash that expresses your personality. Boost the luxury factor with a custom marble inlay backsplash that wows.
- Install touchless faucets: This simple addition is a high-end upgrade for your kitchen sink that will make any cleanup more convenient and sanitary.
- Opt for custom cabinets and drawers: Keep your kitchen organized and hide clutter with lots of extra cabinet and drawer space. Your kitchen will look all the more impressive with customized drawers and cabinets designed to match the way you use your kitchen. Boost the luxury factor with high-end features like LED lighting inside cabinets and drawers, soft-close ability and customized dividers to keep all your cooking tools and dishes organized.
Some indulgent touches can apply to nearly any room of the house. Try some of these tips anywhere in your home that needs a little extra luxury.
- Specialized rooms: Some of the grandest homes have extra rooms purpose-built for specific hobbies. Make your home more enjoyable and elegant by adding dedicated rooms for your favorite activities. Think game rooms, home movie theaters, wine cellars, craft rooms or attached greenhouses for gardening. The only limit is your imagination.
- Upgraded tech: Today’s most luxurious homes are more technologically advanced than ever. There are many ways to upgrade your home’s technology — from security systems to smart climate control, lighting and automatic window treatment controls. Consider adding a few of these touches, and go wireless with your tech devices or hide wires behind cabinets for a cleaner look.
- Plants and fresh flowers: Bring the outside in with potted plants in any room. The added greenery will make your home more inviting, while contributing to cleaner air. Another way to add a luxurious, beautifying touch is with freshly cut floral arrangements.
- Metallic accents: Make your home look expensive with metallic accents throughout. Whether these have a brushed or polished finish, these accessories will have the same effect of adding luster and luxury to every room.
- Get rid of clutter: A cluttered space can be stressful and distracting. You don’t have to go completely minimalist, but be purposeful with any items you choose to display. Clearing the clutter can also make rooms look more spacious.
- Lots of light: A light-filled home also looks roomier and more inviting. Let in lots of natural light through the windows in every room, and consider sheer drapery to enhance the effect. If you have a room that doesn’t get a lot of natural light, be sure to have plenty of lighting fixture options, and use mirrors to bounce light around.
- Marble inlay flooring: In any room, one of the most luxurious interior design trends you can use is marble inlay flooring. Adding a customized marble inlay medallion provides an unparalleled level of sophistication and elegance. Show off favorite colors or meaningful designs in this statement piece that’s sure to be a showstopper in any room.
Luxurious Marble Inlay From Aalto
Whether it’s for flooring, backsplashes, bathrooms or anywhere else in your home, custom marble inlay provides the ultimate in sophistication and luxury. Aalto Marble Inlay delivers a fully customized experience with personalized service to bring you the inlay design you want for your space. The artisans at Aalto work with you to bring your vision to life. We’ll install a gorgeous, customized marble inlay in your home to add a touch of luxury where you want it. Contact the marble experts at Aalto to get started on your design today.